Glasses are quickly becoming a fashion accessory instead of just being something people wear to correct their vision. What was a necessity in the past has now become an icon of beauty. In fact, many people now wear glasses with clear lenses just to get the framing properties of wearing glasses. Whether you wear them a fashion statement or because of your vision, it’s important to learn how to correctly style your glasses to make them fit your overall outfit and appearance.
So instead of just putting on your glasses and calling it a day, we’ve put together this complete guide on how to look great with glasses. This will help you understand how to pick the right glasses, where to buy the perfect pair and how to style it with confidence.
Start by identifying your face shape
One of the secrets to styling your glasses is to identify the shape of your face. There are often four main categories here; round faces, square faces, oval faces and heart faces.
- Round faces are as described. They tend to have full cheeks and a rounded chin. The overall height of your face is also roughly uniform with the width of your face. This is a fairly common face shape and is relatively easy to identify.
- Square faces are a bit more angular. The jawline is often more pronounced and you’ll find that your forehead is wider than the lower half of your face. People with square faces often have strong and sharp features.
- Oval faces are taller than they are wide. Despite having a longer face, their features are still well-balanced. Your cheekbones are usually a bit higher and your chin will still be fairly rounded. Your forehead is also a little wider than your chin area.
- Heart faces are the last type and are characterised by a fairly broad forehead area that tapers at the chin. You’ll also have cheekbones that sit a little higher on your face and your chin tends to be a little more pointy.
Once you’ve identified your face type, it’s time to pick the right pair of glasses to suit you.
Picking the right pair of glasses for your face type
When choosing frames, you need to pick according to your face type. The previous steps should have helped you identify your face shape but it’s perfectly fine to ask someone for help if you’re unsure. Here are the suggested frame types for each common face shape:
- Round faces tend to work well with contrasting frames. This means you should be trying frames with sharp edges and angles to go against your round face. However, you might find that you want to highlight your round features. In this case, you can try a pair of oval frames or round glasses.
- Square faces should aim to counter their sharp angular features by trying oval or rounded glasses. The more curves your glasses have, the more it balances the overall appearance of your face. However, you can also bring more attention to your strong features if you prefer. In this case, you can try square glasses with strong angles to complement your appearance.
- Oval faces are fairly balanced, meaning you should be aiming to keep this balance in mind when picking glasses. The overall shape of the frames isn’t the main concern here. Instead, you should pick frames that are wide enough to cover your entire face. This will help preserve the balanced features of your face. When it comes to choosing the style of the frames, it’s down to personal preference.
- Heart-shaped faces tend to gravitate towards glasses that are curved or smoother at the bottom of the frame and sharper at the top. This helps to complement your facial features and softens the angular parts of your face while contrasting the softer areas.
At the end of the day, you can generally pick and wear whatever type of glasses you want if you think they look great on you. However, this should serve as a general guideline of what type of glasses you can wear and how they complement your face.
Where should you buy glasses?
Next, we’ll be talking about where you can buy glasses. This is something that will greatly depend on your location and budget. If you’re looking for a budget purchase then we suggest looking online at stores such as https://www.eyeglasses.com. These websites generally have a huge selection to pick from and you’ll find that the prices are very affordable too. However, if you prefer something a bit more elegant or high-end, you can actually visit fashion stores to browse their range. These are a lot more expensive but you’re guaranteed to get something unique and different. Physical stores also have the advantage of being able to test the glasses and try them on. If you’re buying online, then we highly suggest taking some measurements of your face to get a better idea of how they’ll fit on your face.
If you need glasses to correct your vision then we suggest going to your optometrist first and asking for your prescription. A lot of people think that they need to buy glasses from their optometrist because they understand your eyes the best, but the reality is that all you need are the numbers for your prescription. Once you have those numbers, you can give them to any service that sells glasses and lenses and you’ll have a perfectly usable pair of glasses. Of course, you can also choose to buy frames with clear lenses if you don’t have any vision problems. You can always swap out the lenses from frames in the future as well by sending them back to the company and requesting it.
Pairing glasses with your clothes and jewellery
Glasses can go surprisingly well with almost any kind of outfit. However, you need to be mindful of how you pair your clothes with them. For example, a cute and comfortable outfit tends to radiate a soft aura, meaning you should try to pair it with glasses that have rounded edges. Similarly, a smarter work outfit tends to go well with angular glasses that have more edges to it. This can be difficult at first, but the idea is to have multiple pairs of glasses to complement the rest of your outfit.
It’s also important to be mindful of the jewellery you wear on your face when wearing a pair of glasses. Glasses can take up a lot of space on your face and should generally be considered the main statement piece. If you try to pair large frames with dangling necklaces and jewellery, it can look a little unbalanced and will throw off your entire appearance. You ideally want to have small earrings and as few piercings as possible if you wear a large pair of glasses. This will put the main focus onto your glasses to help them stand out. If you mix too many pieces that demand attention, you’ll end up creating too much confusion due to the many different elements on your face.
Some final words
Styling a pair of glasses can be difficult, but as long as you focus on the fundamentals such as your face shape, it can be surprisingly easy to add them to your fashion accessories and outfits. We always suggest having multiple pairs of glasses if possible so that you have more choice to mix and match with your outfits.