Learning and discovery never stops as the Department of Science and Technology – Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) renews its TuklaSiyensya sa Eskwela for a new season.
The DOST-SEI has launched the second season of its TuklaSiyensya sa Eskwela, a series of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) video modules designed for high school students. The new season will have 15 new episodes and will feature Filipino scientists at the helm of research and development and high-level STEM education in the universities.
The STEM modules for this season include:
- Estuaries by Dr. Alette Yñiguez of the Marine Science Institute (MSI), University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD)
- Science Communication by Garry Jay Montemayor of the College of Development Communication, University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)
- Fermented Foods by Dr. Marian P. de Leon of the Museum of Natural History, UPLB
- Bio Shields by Jeffrey Maloles of the MSI, UPD
- Looking for Invisible Circles by Dr. Ariel Babierra of the Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Physics, UPLB
- You are your DNA by Lorraine Joyce Del Rosario of the Institute of Biology, UPD
- Future by the Numbers by Dr. Jomar F. Rabajante of the Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Physics, UPLB
- Polymer Everywhere by Miko Lorenzo J. Belgado of the Institute of Chemistry, UPLB
- Viruses and Diseases by Lorraine Joyce Del Rosario
- Basic Trigonometric Identities by Antonio M. Basilio, SJ, PhD of the Ateneo de Davao University
- You and I are Full of Cells by Ma. Rica Teresa B. Dungog of the MSI, UPD
- Up and Beyond the Telescope by Lordnico P. Mendoza of the DOST-Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration
- Physics, Mirrors, and Lenses by Lordnico P. Mendoza
- Earthquake by Charmaine V. Villamil of the DOST-Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology
- A Star is Born by Dr. Rogel Mari D. Sese of the Department of Aerospace Engineering, Ateneo de Davao University
The ten-minute STEM video modules are available on the DOST-SEI Nulab: STEM in Motion Facebook page and will also be aired on Knowledge Channel’s on-air and online platforms and on DZRH’s Radyo Henyo segment starting on February 19, 2023.
Through DOST-SEI’s partnership with the Department of Education, these STEM modules are also accessible for use as a learning resource in the delivery of science and mathematics education.
TuklaSiyensya is a response to the shift in the learning delivery modality of schools prompted by the pandemic. It is designed as both a supplement to the traditional learning method for junior and senior high school students and STEM career promotions package. It is based on the existing modules developed by young scientists and scholars who act as facilitators in the NuLab mobile science learning facility.
DOST-SEI Director Dr. Josette T. Biyo expressed her support and delight that TuklaSiyensya is releasing new videos. “It is a must that we continue to ride on the online waves to reach more and more young people and bring science closer to them.”